Reminder: Moodle Upgrade July 6

Reminder: Moodle Upgrade July 6

by Kevin Steeves -
Number of replies: 0

Hello Instructors,

Reminder (original post 5/2):  Our Moodle (classes.lanecc.edu) will be updated July 6 12:30a-6:30am PST.  Moodle will be UNAVAILABLE during this time.

Testing Your Course(s)

Our sandbox Moodle site will be upgraded one month in advance (June).  Any faculty are welcome to go to our sandbox and request a course.  When your course is ready you can restore any course(s) you like to see how the upgraded Moodle works with your current course(s).  I will send an email when the sandbox has been upgraded for anyone wanting to test their course in the upgraded environment.

Boost Theme

We will be upgrading to Moodle 3.2.  The largest change we will see is the inclusion of a new theme, "Boost".  Boost is a responsive theme, meaning it will work great on normal size screens as well as mobile devices.  We see a consistent rate of about 20-30% of our users accessing course via a phone to tablet.  We will continue to support SNAP, Clean, More, and Express themes.  See below for end of life on these themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjlgrVag6JQ

Highlighted Key Features

• Messaging user interface improvements.
  • User tours - walkthroughs/instructional overlays for the first time user on page.
  • Pluggable media players in Moodle; Video.js player
  • Easier embedding videos and audio in Atto editor with poster, subtitles, and other attributes.
Updates

Updated features include:

Full release notes to Moodle 3.2.1 on Moodle docs.

Features that will be removed:

• Express theme - July 2018
  • Clean theme - July 2019
  • More Theme - July 2019
  • Flexpage Course Format - July 2018
  • Folderview Course Format - July 2018
  • Joule Gradebook - July 2017

If you have questions or concerns about the end of life of these features please contact me.

Can't wait to see the new Moodle?  I have Moodle 3.2 installed on my laptop and can meet with you to show you the new interface and upgrades.  Email me to find a time that works.

Kevin Steeves
Learning Environment Systems Administrator
Lane Community College
steevesk@lanecc.edu