*New* Atto HTML Editor & Su20 Term Reminders

by Josh Manders -
Number of replies: 0

Instructors,

I don't know about you, but my email inbox continues to deliver more information and updates than I can possibly absorb. I missed including an important Moodle site update in my last notification.

Beginning Friday, June 19th, 2020 classes.lanecc.edu will begin using a newer HTML text editor called Atto. Instructors who wish to switch back to using the old editor (support likely ending in 2021) can do so and instructions are provided below.

For those who aren't as familiar Moodle: A text editor is displayed throughout the Learning Management System (LMS) and allows you to format text, add images, create tables, and much more.

The current TinyMCE editor looks something like this:

The tinyMCE editor with toolbar expanded

The new HTML Editor (Atto) looks something like this:

Full.pngPretty similar right? 🙂

Documentation and an overview of all of the new editors functions can be found in Moodle's site documentation. One advantage of using the Atto HTML Editor is that it automatically saves drafts every few minutes as you work. It also has a word count feature. My favorite improvement is the ability to drag-and-drop images (or files) from your desktop directly into the window without having to go through the manual upload screens.

Why Now?
In a webinar this week, our Moodle host made it crystal clear: support for the old editor is rapidly failing and it will not be updated. The math equation editor is one example of a failing component that no longer works with modern web browsers. Rather than wait till more components fail, I believe making the switch before Summer Term will create the least disruption. I apologize for the last minute notice but I have confidence that the change will be for the better.

Changing the Editor Back to TinyMCE

If you would prefer not to use the new default editor just yet, you can switch back and forth between editors at anytime. Note that you are changing your personal preferences and not the preferences for a course or students within the course.

1. In the User Menu (profile photo in top-right), click your name and select Preferences. Your Preferences page will open.
  2. Under User account, click Editor preferences. The Editor preferences page will open.
  3. From the Text editor drop-down menu:
    • To format text with a toolbar, choose Atto HTML Editor (default, and recommended). To use the older editor from previous Moodle versions, choose TinyMCE HTML Editor.
  4. Click Save changes (at bottom of page).

🔖  Reminders

⛱️  ATC Summer Hours: ATC Virtual Support (live virtual help)  | M-Th 10a-2p  |  E-mail: atc@lanecc.edu  | M-Th 8a-5p S-Su 10a-2p
Our help articles are available to you 24/7.

📚 Tutoring: Summer Hours & Updates: Monday - Thursday 10a - 1p and 1:30p - 4:30p Evening Hours | Tuesday - Wednesday 5p - 8p

Why are you receiving these messages?

As part of Academic Technology’s mission to provide quality service and support to LaneCC instructors, we subscribe your account to a Moodle news announcements forum where we post important information on system disruptions, maintenance, new features, tips and training opportunities. If you are no longer teaching at LaneCC and wish to be removed, please email moodleadmin@lanecc.edu.

- Josh Manders, LMS Admin

(Edited by Moodle Admin - original submission Thursday, June 18, 2020, 8:43 PM)